Burgas begins Eurovision 2027 preparations

Burgas begins Eurovision 2027 preparations

Entertainment

The State has earmarked EUR 20 million for preparations for the Eurovision Song Contest 2027 through the end of this year, Deputy Prime Minister Ivo Hristov said in Burgas on Thursday, as the host city began work on the organization of the event and Sofia Municipality sought detailed feedback on why its competing bid had not been selected.

Earlier on Thursday, Sofia Municipality said it had formally asked Bulgarian National Television (BNT) Director General Milena Milotinova for detailed feedback on the assessment of the capital's bid, including the scores awarded under the individual criteria and the reasons for them. It also requested permission to make public those parts of its proposal not covered by confidentiality requirements. Sofia Mayor Vassil Terziev said the capital would help make Eurovision a success for Bulgaria but argued that greater transparency would build trust in the selection process, CE Report quotes BTA.

Later in Burgas, Hristov, who chairs the interagency organizing committee for Eurovision, said the State would play a full role in preparations. Of the EUR 20 million allocated through the end of 2026, EUR 15 million will serve as the guarantee that must be deposited before the organizational process begins, while the remainder will cover ongoing needs. Additional funding will be included in the 2027 State Budget, although Hristov said no figure could yet be given. The funding will cover needs related to infrastructure, transport, accommodation and promoting Bulgaria as a tourist destination.

Hristov defended the selection of Burgas, saying the city had demonstrated a functioning economic model and a proactive approach to its bid. He said BNT, as the Bulgarian broadcaster responsible for the host-city selection, could provide details about the decision.

Burgas Mayor Dimitar Nikolov said preparations now need to proceed quickly because of tight deadlines for administrative procedures and public procurement. No final estimate of the overall cost is available yet, he said. The aim is to have the venue ready by the end of the year for a test concert attended by European Broadcasting Union experts, allowing potential problems with internal logistics and acoustics to be identified and addressed in time.

Nikolov said at least five ministries are involved in preparations and stressed that hosting Eurovision should be regarded as a national rather than solely a Burgas initiative. He said the contest has the unanimous support of the parties represented on the Burgas Municipal Council, as well as neighbouring municipalities along the Southern Black Sea coast.

Later on Thursday, Sofia Mayor Vassil Terziev said in a Facebook post that he doesn’t expect praise from the government, he expects partnership. He was responding to remarks made by Deputy Prime Minister Hristov, who said that the capital is facing a "management crisis".

Sofia's Mayor said he hoped this would not be yet another government that needs to be reminded that the city should not be isolated because of "political ambitions". "Sofia is not the mayor. Sofia is not its problems. Sofia is its people," Terziev said. He noted that nearly two million people live and work in the capital, which generates almost half of the country’s economy.

Terziev said Sofia supports Burgas as the host of the contest and added that the capital would also celebrate Eurovision in May 2027. He said Sofia would make use of the best elements of its bid and turn them into music, events and experiences for residents and visitors.

Photo: Chat GPT

Tags

Related articles