Recean: No Foreign Control of Elections

Recean: No Foreign Control of Elections

Moldova

Moldova will not allow foreign forces to influence its upcoming elections, Prime Minister Dorin Recean said on Monday at the regional conference "Money in Politics – Money, Security, and Democracy: Protecting Electoral Integrity in the Digital Age."

Recean emphasized that the 2025 parliamentary elections must be “clean, free, and correctly financed,” warning that otherwise, Moldova risks being “manipulated, bought, and ultimately undermined.”

He said that Moldova’s democracy is not for sale: “Votes are not negotiated by fugitive oligarchs. Moldova will not return to the past. Our parliament must remain the voice of the people—not an instrument of the Kremlin.”

Recean warned of criminal networks and foreign actors exploiting democratic systems through illicit financing, disinformation, and cyberattacks. He revealed that during the last presidential elections and referendum, Moldovan authorities uncovered attempts to sway the vote with illicit money, including efforts by a Russian bank to open over 138,000 accounts to funnel funds to voters—amounting to nearly 1% of Moldova's GDP, CE Report quotes MOLDPRES

He also pointed to ongoing hybrid threats: cryptocurrency-funded intermediaries, AI-driven propaganda, fake pro-European parties secretly backed by Russia, and phantom media operations originating in Moscow.

Despite these challenges, Recean said Moldovan democracy had so far prevailed, but warned: “Foreign interference is extensive, sophisticated, and real—especially dangerous for a small country like ours.”

He concluded with a firm commitment: “We will use all available tools to protect our sovereignty, democracy, and European future. Democracy can be lost not only with tanks, but with euros pumped into fake ads, media platforms, and paid influencers. We will not stand by—we will act.”

Tags

Related articles

Bolotnicov Seeks Election Bid
The Central Electoral Commission (CEC) of Moldova has received a request to register an initiative group backing Oleg Bolotnicov, who plans to run as an independent candidate in the upcoming parliamentary elections on September 28.
Moldova Rejects Russian Interference Over Guțul Verdict
Moldova firmly rejected recent Russian criticism of the court decision sentencing Governor Evghenia Guțul to seven years in prison for illegal financing linked to the former Shor party.
Moldova, U.S. Reaffirm Strategic Partnership
Deputy Prime Minister Mihai Popșoi met with the new U.S. acting chargé d'affaires in Moldova, Nick Pietrowicz, to discuss deepening cooperation in key areas such as democratic reforms, energy security, cybersecurity, and Moldova’s European integration.
Moldova Denies Delays in Plahotniuc Extradition from Greece
Justice Minister Veronica Mihailov-Moraru has rejected claims that Moldovan authorities are delaying the extradition of former Democratic Party leader Vladimir Plahotniuc from Greece. She stated that all steps were taken in line with national law and international conventions.
Direct Moldova–Bulgaria Flights to Launch in October
Starting October 26, 2025, passengers from Moldova will be able to fly directly to Sofia, Bulgaria, with the launch of the first and only direct route between the two countries.
Moldova to Open Veterans Affairs Office by October 1
Moldovan Prime Minister Dorin Recean announced that a Veterans Affairs Office will be established and fully operational by October 1.
Moldova, UAE to End Visa Requirements from September 5
Starting September 5, 2025, Moldovan citizens will be able to travel to the United Arab Emirates (UAE) without a visa.
Moldova’s 11th Parliament Concludes Four-Year Term
Moldova’s 11th Parliament officially concluded its four-year mandate, having held 172 plenary sessions totaling around 1,100 hours. From July 2021 to July 2025, lawmakers passed 1,589 normative acts—including 1,149 laws, two constitutional amendments, and 217 framework laws.
New U.S. Chargé d'Affaires in Moldova
Nick Pietrowicz has been appointed Chargé d'Affaires of the U.S. Embassy in Chisinau, replacing Kevin Covert, who is returning to the United States after serving since July 14, 2025.